Monday, January 31, 2011

A Trip to Altitude Design Summit

A few weeks ago, I took the opportunity to attend an amazing lifestyle and design blogging conference held in Salt Lake.  I learned about Alt the week after it was held last year and was so bummed that I had missed it.  I read about it on somebody’s blog and I knew it was just what I was looking for, so when January rolled around again, I was prepared.  If you want to be a newbie to Alt next year too, I highly recommend it.  Here’s what you’ll want to know:

Most people who attended are talented and successful bloggers, stylists, artists and designers (but they still like you if you’re new to the blog world, like me!).  They are inspirational, creative and on fire about what they do.  You’ll find time to mingle with other like-minded people, listen to panels on blog etiquette and expectations, take classes on things like photography or hand-lettering, network, and in my case, learn the ins and outs of blogging.  The panelists and presenters all have lots of experience and are there both to present and attend (this speaks to the quality of every single class).  I was surprised at how generous and helpful everyone was with their ideas and experience.


Bring business cards and lots of them.  Alt was a beautiful mix of creativity and business.  It’s an excellent place to network and meet other bloggers.

If you want to monetize your blog, this is the place to be.  I was incredibly surprised by what an industry the monetization of blogging is.  I met product designers, store owners, sponsors looking for bloggers to advertise for them and even magazine and tv show reps. 

Wendy, Katie and I

Don’t be afraid to come alone—you’ll leave with friends.  



This is the place to wear those swanky clothes.  Every evening held dinners and parties, clearly planned by women-- they were playful and beautiful and girly and very fun.

What Alt is notCheap (start saving now, because it’s pricey.  But worth every penny.)  If you are looking for a personal/family blogging conference, this is not it—content is heavy on monetization and success in terms of readers and page views.

We capped off the conference with a thrifting tour of some of Salt Lakes best thrift/vintage stores.  More on that tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment