Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weaving Letters and Purses

Last Saturday I visited my friend, Melissa, who is always doing really ambitious and cool projects. She hosted a calligraphy class, which I was thrilled to be a part of. In the past when I thought of calligraphy, I imagined stuffy lettering in Old English block letters. She definitely puts the youthful stamp on a more modern version, and puts the fun back in the art of hand lettering. Take a look at this book a husband commissioned her to letter as a gift for his wife:




It takes some time and patience, but is surprisingly creative (there are rules, you know) and I can't wait to use this skill on a future project.

I brought Melissa a box of "creativity prompters" that I had pulled from my Studio Clean Out a few weeks ago. I am always drawn to interesting sweaters that I find at garage sales and thrift stores, and have done some really fun projects with them. But as I followed the "rules" of my Clean Out, I had to pass on a lot of "potential" projects, which is how Melissa ended up with a bunch of these sweaters. Look what she did with one of them:



Visit her post to get the how-to details. 
What have you repurposed lately that was a hit? Send photos and I'll share.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, it feels pretty good to get a note that is lettered this way. Just knowing that someone actually took that much time and detail to communicate like this makes it that much more meaningful. And if it comes from an admirer (like your wife *wink dani*), you know good times are in store.

    ReplyDelete